Sunday, June 5, 2011

North Face Endurance Half Marathon - Race Report

Today I did the North Face Endurance Half Marathon located at Algonkian Regional Park in Virginia along the Potomac. The course was mostly trails with some paved sections and gravel roads on an out and back course. Overall, it was fun, but with 600 runners, it was crowded for several miles on the trails and when it finally started to thin out, you had runners coming at you when they hit the turnaround first. For the most part, the course was flat except one steep hill and one stream crossing, which was fun, that you hit twice.


After the 1st aid station at mile 1.7, the course turned into single track and I mean single track. There was no room for passing and the trails were covered with serious roots. Other sections we were running through fields with grass 6-7' tall on both sides of you. Between the roots and runners flying at you, you had to stay focused. It was great!

I had no watch as my Garmin locked up right before the race so I ran stickily by feel. For the most part, I kept a pretty steady pace and finished the race at 2:21 (10:49 pace). I was pleased with that and actually enjoyed not wearing a watch. I timed my nutrition based on the aid stations since there were about 3-3.5 miles apart. This worked out pretty well.

The highlight of the day is that I got to talk to Michael Waridian who finished 1st today, he finished 3rd yesterday in the 50-miler, and wished him good luck in Badwater 135 next month. Than I got to meet Dean Karnazes, got my picture with him and congratulated him on completing his run across America. The guy's amazing.



No comments: