Sunday, April 22, 2007

Lake Anna!! Half Ironman 4-21-07

Lake Anna - what a complete screw up and lesson learned. It is quite obvious this is not the first time I have made this mistake. Here it goes. I did the 5k run in lieu of the swim because I just came off of a bad fever four days ago that knocked me out for a day and a half. Heck, I didn't even decide to do the race until yesterday afternoon when I thought I was feeling better. Hmmmm, going from a 102 fever on Wednesday to a half ironman on Saturday in hindsight is not too smart. FIRST MISTAKE . In any event, I justified my decision because I needed to put the time in since I was off from training the last week and a half.

So, I did the 5k run in about 28 minutes (9 minutes miles) keeping it in Z2 pace. The weather was really hot that day - first hot day this season we worked out in. I got on the bike and started to crank it - SECOND MISTAKE. My heart rate was way high and as I tried to slow down, I kept getting passed, I mean I was passed by A LOT of people. THIRD MISTAKE - me worrying about other people's passing me and beating myself up on how slow I was going. So I continue to crank as people still continued to pass me. I knew I would be in trouble later on but for some reason, I didn't let that deter my irrational thinking. When I hit mile 48 of 55, I was DONE. The last 8 miles were horrible and I suffered dearly. My bike time was 3:40 for 55 miles or 15 mph.

When I started to run, I lasted about 200 yards and from there, it was a run/walk festival for 13 miles. I averaged 12.1 minute miles and it was my worst half marathon time ever (2:39).

So, did I learn anything on this event, you betcha! Don't workout when I am getting over a cold and if I do, for the sake of myOWN sanity, GO EASY AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE DOING!


Week Summary:
Swim: 1.6M
Bike: 64 M
Run: 16 M
Total: 82 Miles, 8.9 hours

No comments: