Saturday, February 12, 2011

Don't minimize the upcoming race...

People ask sometimes what I think about on the run and sometimes I think about nothing at all and then there are other times my mind just wanders from thought to thought. During the run today I kept thinking about the race and thinking it's only 30+ miles. WHAT?!?!?! am I serious?!?!?!? I have never gone this distance before. Sure it's only 4 miles more then a marathon but I have never done a marathon on trails, nor as hilly as this race is going to be. 9800 feet of elevation gain! 9800 feet! That is serious!

Part of my thoughts minimize the distance because of all the stuff I've been reading - between Bart Yasso's book and Dean Karnazes Ultramarathon Man book, the Ultrarunning Magazines, etc... and how 50, even 100 mile runs are the real ultras and the 50k is really the lowest of the ultra's. Just like comparing a 5k run to a marathon or a sprint tri to an Ironman, 50k is the lowest to lets say a 100-miler. However, these are baby steps and the 50k is a big step into this new adventure I'm exploring!

No comments: