Sunday, February 27, 2011

PEAKED!

Woooohooooo. Peak week is over and what a week it was and overall, amazingly, I feel pretty good. During the week I was suppose to run 20 miles over 4 days, but ended up running 17 miles over 3 days. I was just tired on Tuesday night and had to rest. Yesterday was my peak long run in which I knocked out 22.3 miles of all trails in Rock Creek Park. The best part about it, if my Garmin read it correctly, is between all the up and down hills, I climbed 9,300' total! That is great considering Hat Run is 9,800' over 31 miles.

For the most part, everything worked out well. I did about 7 on my own and then Mark joined for me for 12 and then I finished the last 3 on my own. Of course, the last 3, rather than take the flat road, I went right back onto the trails and continued the up and down hills. My nutrition worked out well in which I drank Infinite and hit my gu's every 45 minutes and one of the times woofed down pringles and PnJ sandwhich. Only thing I discovered is that my trail shoes are too small and I kept smashing my toes against the front. My big toe and 2nd toe are trashed on both feet and I'll be losing some nails pretty soon. I took a picture to post here but it was too disgusting so I deleted it. I'll be buying new shoes this week and will need to break them in.

Overall I felt good and solid during the run. We walked each of the hills and still averaged 12:20's overall. I guess to me that is pretty good considering the inclines. At the end I was getting tired, but never bonked and truthfully, if I had to, could have kept going.

Today, my legs were not sore, just my toes were busted up. I needed 10.6 to hit 50 miles for the week and finally felt like I was in a groove around mile 4. Than the miles just started to float by. As I got toward the end I just felt like I had to end today with even miles so I finished with 11 and averaged 9:43's (this time it was all paved path/roads, and ended the last 1.7 on a long up hill out of the park).

With all this running I was asking myself today, what is really holding me back from more miles, is it my body, or it is my mind. The bod felt strong, but the mind seems to hold me back from saying that's too many miles, or that's enough for the week. I feel like I'm getting too that point where it is time to just let go......I am close and it will come. soon...but for now - let's taper and be mentally and physically strong for my first 50K in less than 3 weeks!

Totals for the week: (never experienced these numbers before)
50.4 miles
9:14 hours

No comments: