Saturday, September 26, 2009

Chesapeake Man Swim Fest

This was a fun event. Part of the Chesapeake Man ironman distance race, the director started just a 2.4 mile swim event and a swim/bike event. Today, Mark and I did the swim portion and it was a solid swim. For all my races this season, each time I get in the water, it just doesn't feel right, that is the open water swims. It seems like I get a little anxious when that has never happened to me. So today, my goal was to be smooth, steady and calm.

The race began at 7:00am in Cambridge at Great Marsh Park and there were about 350 participants. Most were doing the full ironman distance and others were doing the relay, just the swim or just the swim/bike. If we had time, we would have done the swim/bike (2.4m/112m) becuase it is great training preparation. The course was 2 loops, water temp was 72 degrees which was perfect, and for the most part I had a good swim. I still need to work on swimming on the line of the buoys and be more aggressive. The current was pretty strong on both return legs and there were white caps but I was able to cut through pretty good. Probably the most difficult part of the swim for me was it was tough to site the buoys going into the sun, waves and chop. My time was around 1:18 which is about 2 minutes slower the my IM swim 2 years ago. I was quite pleased with this time as it was just for me to continue and stay comfortable in the water.

No comments: