Sunday, September 13, 2009

Nation's Tri - Awesome!

Real quick before I get to Nation's, yesterday I ran 13 miles in Rock Creek, 9min run/1min walk and averaged 10 minute miles. The weather was perfect. My dad, who happens to be training for his first marathon, did 16 miles and did extremely well!

Okay - on to Nation's. What a great race. I was always so skeptical of doing this race because of swimming in the Potomac but this was a class A race. Over 5000 people did the race and it was extremely well organized! I have to thank Scott Talbot for pushing me to do this one!

I had a GREAT race!! I PR'd my oly time by several minutes and finished in 2:43. This course was flat and it sure was fast! I was 13 minutes faster than Columbia in May(a hilly course) and 23 minutes faster than Luray in August (also a very hilly course). Putting the hilly oly's in the past aside - it was a solid race. It was the first time and quite sometime where I was not passed by the world on the bike, avg 19.4, and kept a solid pace on the run, avg 8:18 with a 7:50 the last mile. On the bike, I kept thinking there was a head wind when actually it was just me moving : ). Here is my write up in my journal:

"Very pleased with the race. Felt strong the entire time. Swim - goggles fogged up and I almost cut out a buoy - a total rookie mistake that cost me at least 2 minutes on the swim. had awesome bike as my heartrate was mid zone 4 the whole time. Run was very strong and steady. Kept positive attitude during whole race especially on the run! Really enjoyed this one! Feel like I am getting my legs back as well."

Also, my nutrition was RIGHT ON using Infinite bike mix for the 1st hour on the bike, then switch to my run mix for the last 16 minutes on the bike and then used the run mix on the run. Worked out well!

Totals for the week:
Swim: 4M
Bike: 58M
Run: 24M
Total: 86M, 9:09 hours

No comments: