Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Gut Check!

So, tonight at track we had to do 8 x 1200's at Zone 4 pace with a 2 minute recovery in between sets. This is the hardest track workout we have had, aside the 5 x 1600's in January training for Miami. I did the track tonight with Chris Wren who is 59 years old and is an awesome athlete. For the first 4 intervals, Chris was tailing just behind me as I could hear where he was by his breathing. For intervals 5 and 6 he ran just in front of me and when we got to 7 I felt pretty good and ran a little ahead of him. GUT CHECK - this is what he tells me before we start the 8th and final one. Well, little did I know that GUT CHECK meant BRING IT ON and that he was going to kick my ass on this one. Damn if he didn't finish about 10 seconds in front of me. The guys is amazing. Here I am trying to stay in my zone and not go anaerobic and he just turns it on. Good for him! Remember Chris - there is always a next time! : 0

My splits for the night were: 5:06, 5:06, 5:05, 5:10, 5:21, 5:12, 5:15 and 5:25 (average is about a 6:57 minute mile) - man, if I could only hold that pace during a 5K or 10K I would crush my current PR's!!

No comments: