Sunday, May 6, 2007

Wow!

It's incredible how you push yourself through each workout, day after day, week after week, month after month, some workouts easy, some hard, but mostly fun and feel pretty good after you are done. But then you have that one workout, that one SWEET workout where everything comes together and you get that HIGH, that high that drives you back for more just so you can have that sweet workout one more time. Man, that was today! What an incredible ride. 112 miles!!! It was phenomenal. Don't get me wrong, it was hilly, it was damn windy but everything worked out just right, the right pace, the right nutrition and the right company. This is what it is all about. Taking your body to a place it has never been before and relishing that moment, holding onto it as long as you can because you know the moment will come and go but the desire to get back there will keep you pushing until you get there again and again and again.

We rode from a place called Boyce, VA. Never knew the place existed but the scenery was absolutely beautiful and not much car traffic. Mark and I spent the night at a hotel since it was about 2 hours from my house to get there. We were well rested as part of the team camped. No way was I going to camp before a 112 mile ride. I wanted a bed and get a good night sleep. It was the right decision. We started around 9:15am and the weather was windy and in the 40's. The day warmed up to the 50's by the end of the day. The first 55 miles of the ride were pretty steady and I kept a nice easy pace staying in Z2 averaging ~ 14.5 mph. I did not want to repeat Lake Anna again! After refueling, the next 15 miles were absolutely brutal as I only average about 11mph pedaling into the wind. IT SUCKED! This was the point where every 5 miles was a milestone. However, after mile 70, either the wind eased up or was behind our backs as we picked up the pace and average the last part around 15.3 mph. I knew when I hit 80 that it was in the bag. I just need to have that same feeling at IM. In all, it took us 7:50 minutes and I averages ~ 14.4 mph. I was the last to come in, but no worries, I was happy with that time and l hope to average the same in CDA.

By the way, the group I train with, Team Z, did a phenomenal job in sagging, cheering us on and waiting for us with BBQ at the end! And getting some cookies from my secret pal certainly was a treat as well. It was a great day. I just need to remember, keep the HR down!

No comments: